|Creator:||Alex Kurtzman, Peter M. Lenkov, Roberto Orci|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|External Links:||on IMDB, official CBS website|
|Click here for related articles on ITSwiki.|
|Click Here to Unhide the Table of Contents|
Hawaii Five-0 is the 2010 re-imagining of the 1968 series. (The shows' titles can be differentiated by the fact that the 2010 version uses a zero as the final character, where the original series used a capital letter.) The creators include Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who co-wrote and produced the fannishly popular and financially successful movie reboot of the original Star Trek. They are also widely known (and hated) for ruining Xena, and they co-wrote and produced Lost.
The show quickly garnered an online fandom, particularly among slash fans. The slash potential was further enhanced by official promos that proclaimed "not just a bromance" and "the honeymoon is over". The overwhelmingly popular pairing is Steve McGarrett/Danny Williams, who function on the show as part of an elite law enforcement team. The other two team members were Kono Kalakaua and Chin Ho Kelly. Pairings or threesomes involving Kono or Chin were also written, and they are often a part of stories where the romantic focus is on Steve and Danny.
In fandom the term Core 4 or Core Four is often used to indicate fanworks focusing on the group consisting of Steve McGarrett, Danny Williams, Kono Kalakaua and Chin Ho Kelly, especially after actors Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park left the series.
Fan Favorite Actors
Many of the actors on H50, both leads and guest stars, have prior credits in shows and movies with fanwork-producing fandoms. These roles influence both the popularity of H50 and, in some cases, the reaction to their H50 characters.
- Alex O'Loughlin previously starred in Moonlight (TV).
- Grace Park played a major character in the 2003 Battlestar Galactica reboot.
- Daniel Dae Kim was previously in Lost.
- Scott Caan arguably had the smallest prior following of the four leads: though he did appear in the Ocean's movies, his character in those isn't especially popular in that fandom.
- Larisa Oleynik, star of The Secret World of Alex Mack, has been cast as a major recurring character on H50.
- Will Yun Lee (recurring bad guy Sang Min) was previously on Witchblade and the 2007 Bionic Woman as well as appearing in a Bond movie.
- James Marsters was Spike from Buffy and has had roles on Torchwood and Smallville, among other shows.
- Masi Oka (Max the M.E.) previously played Hiro Nakamura on Heroes.
- Mark Dacascos is known for a number of cornball roles from one of the The Crow movies to Crying Freeman to Iron Chef.
- Kelly Hu has appeared on many popular shows, especially crime dramas.
Actors from the original Hawaii Five-O like Al Harrington have also appeared, and many other fan-favorite actors have appeared as non-recurring characters.
Links and Resources
- #283; (hawaii five-oh) my primer; OR WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH THIS -- LiveJournal primer post by thisissirius, with screencaps.
- Hawaii Five-O on ff.net
- Hawaii Five-O Remake Trailer Review
- Epic Steve/Danny AU Master List by swing_set13
- Hawaii Five-0 newsletter
- Hawaii Five-0 Daily
- Hawaii Five-0 graphics community
- Hawaii Five-0 show community
- Hawaii Five-0 20in20
- Hawaii Five-0 Big Bang
- The Waves of Love--Hawaii Five-0 slash
- Kiss Him, Danno--festivals for fic/art creation with kiss themes